Thursday, April 3, 2014

Conquering Y Seams and Zombie Sewing

I have been psyching myself up to do the big Y seams in my Midnight at the Oasis Quilt.  Luckily friends had done their's before me, so I listened to their stories, watched all the You Tube clips, took a deep breath and plunged in.  



Because these Y- Seams are so big and I was working with a number of fabrics cut on the bias (and liable to stretch) I did 3 extra things that I would recommend.  My tips are:
  • Trace the shape onto freezer paper and iron onto the back of your fabric, then cut your shape and leave the freezer paper on when you sew.
  • When you cut the shape add a good extra cm on the outside edge (the ones you are not sewing now).  You can trim it up later.
  • Use spray starch on the your triangle of triangles to make it stiffer and less likely to stretch.
I was pretty chuffed with the result.  It just needs to be squared up.

Also on my sewing table today:



Zoe the Zombie Apocalypse Doll and her dog waiting for some final surgery.  She is destined to hang out in the shop as a sample for the doll panel, before making her way home to our house.  If you need a Zoe and her sidekick dog you can find the panel here.

1 comment:

Schulz Family said...

now those are two completely different projects!! both awesome